Monday, September 27, 2010

It is 5 months since my last treatment now

Fall is in the air here in Dallas, and the temperature took a dive this week into the 80's during the day and 60's during the night, and even in the 50's a night or two. How nice it would be to go to New England during the coming month and see the wonderful fall foliage. We only get a few days of it here, and we don't get all the beautiful colors that they get up there.

I went in to the oncology center this morning to get an infusion of Reclast, which is a drug for treatment of bone density problems. Apparently one more side effect of chemo is some bone loss. Being in my 60's and already having osteopenia, I assume that I was destined to have more deterioration anyway. Sure enough. But this drug I got is going to slow down the bone loss, and it lasts for a year ! So I don't have to go back until this time next Fall to get it again. This is also the drug that they give bone cancer patients or people who have cancer that has spread to the bones. There are no particular side effects and it apparently works very well. My doctor said that there is evidence in some areas that it has helped cancer to not come back.

I also got my flu shot this morning. It's REALLY important this year to get those, even more than usual, for everyone. Especially for us older people whether we have been sick or not. So GO GET THE FLU SHOT.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted you to know that I am out here and check up on you here every now and then. Glad you are doing well!

    Your writing is excellent! Did we really go to the same school? My writing lacks much and I prefer to post pictures!

    Keep doing so well and keep posting!
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks darlin' I am thinking that now since I have blogged the doom and gloom of treatments, I should be putting some of the advantages of having cancer. Or actually I mean the positive side of what goes on.
    Getting into philosophy.........well, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete