Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Laughter is good medicine !



It is said that laughter is the best medicine. There's lots of evidence that this is true. It reduces pain and lets us tolerate discomfort. It reduces blood sugar levels, improves job performance, helps your blood vessels function better, so it's good for your brain and your heart. There's lots of scientific evidence to prove it. Hey, whatever helps us survive cancer, all the better. I believe in anything that helps. We are all grasping for that, aren't we? Basically it offsets mental stress, and what's more stressful than having the big "C" ??

We keep hearing about endorphins in connection with exercise and how the stimulation of them takes away stress and that's a great reason to exercise. We all read that exercise is the best thing to keep cancer away, that and a good diet. I know that's important, so I think that the laughter goes right along with that. I watched those crazy blue collar guys on TV the other night talk about rednecks and even though the show was pretty gross language-wise, it made me laugh like crazy. I try to watch that show Who's Line is It ? when I need a laugh, it's a very funny show. There are lots of shows on TV that can make us laugh, no matter what kind of personality we have or what we think is funny, there is probably something on there that you can find to make you laugh. My husband, stepson and daughter spend half their time teasing each other until it sometimes gets rediculous. But it is funny, and they keep me going. Keeping that positive attitude is the best cure for cancer and we have to practice that every minute of every day.

Laugh with your spouse, your kids, your friends. Go see a funny movie. Get those endorphins going !

No comments:

Post a Comment